We took a ride to the Whitehorse Visitor's Center and walked for 2 hours to the world's largest wooden fish ladder. The King Salmon are supposed to travel 2000 miles from the Bering Sea to spawn here. It may be the world's largest wooden fish ladder, but unfortunately, this year is a record for the smallest number of King Salmon, (AKA Chinook), to returrn to spawn. The decrease in number of King Salmon is a great concern for Alaska and Canada. We hear that the Kings are fun to catch and we know they taste good.
We walked the trail to the fish ladder and dam. I thought the trail was going to be paved and open. The beginning was, then we took the dirt trail along the river in the woods. It was very relaxing, until I realized that I didn't have my bear spray. Oh well, we survived.
We took a ride to Miles Canyon and saw another pretty view of the Yukon River.
We walked 6 miles and 18 flights today.
We plan to move toward Skagway, AK tomorrow
Pictures https://goo.gl/photos/FCw68WVpRV563ZwKA
No comments:
Post a Comment