Friday, June 22, 2012

Day 21 (6-21-12 - Denali National Park - Riley Creek CG)


We are at Riley Creek Campground in Denali National Park.  It has been a gorgeous day for the solstice.  The days are already long.  We haven't seen darkness since we left Montana.

We hiked 8 miles today and climbed an elevation that is equivalent to 62 flights of stairs, (according to my Fitbit pedometer).  We are planning to go deeper in the park tomorrow and do a lot of hiking over the next 3 days.

We went to the sled dog kennels and enjoyed looking at the dogs, the puppies, and watching the demonstration.  Lauren has been keeping up with the sled dogs on Denali’s web site and watching the 3 newest additions to the kennels on the Denali puppy cam.  The 3 puppies are so cute. 

I paid $44 for Alaska Bear Spray.  The manufacturer recommends that you wait until an aggressive bear is within 30 feet to spray.  The can of spray only last for 7.2 seconds.  I hope it is never needed and will be a souvenir from Alaska.

We saw a mom and yearling moose today.  The wildlife count is pitiful so far in Alaska.

1 comment:

  1. How are y'all coping with no darkness? I don't think I could adjust that's how I know when it's time to shut down.
    You paid how much for what? ROFLMAO
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete