Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Day 19 (6-19-12 - Fairbanks to Artic Circle)



We went as far north as we have ever been today.  After traveling 190 miles one way we made it to the Artic Circle.  I thought it would be cold at the Artic Circle, but it was in the mid 70's.  When I got out of the truck I was told that I was brave to be in short pants.  Thank goodness we had a breeze to slow down the mosquittos.

We traveled the Dalton Highway today.  We stopped at the Artic Circle Gift Shop where we experienced true outhouses, (not the vaults).   We had a great chocolate chip cookie (it was mostly chocolate chips) and a slice of apple walnut cake from the Yukon River Cafe.

The Alaska pipeline was just what I expected it to be. It follows along another dusty, bumpy road. The Dirt Road Anthem kept playing through my head. The GPS, (or as we call her Idis) stayed lost.  She was constantly recalculating and could not follow this rugged road.

We are heading towards Denali National Park tomorrow.  We have reservations from Friday until Sunday night in the Teklanika River Campground.  Hopefully, we will cross paths with our friends from Gulport tomorrow as they head back to the lower 48.

We were really disappointed in the 380 miles of travel as far as wildlife goes.  We saw an eagle and a fox.  Maybe the wildlife viewing will be better tomorrow.

Today's Pics https://goo.gl/photos/gx2S2izwJneiAVh99

No comments:

Post a Comment