Wednesday, September 28, 2016

9-26-16 - Heat Escape - Day 46


                                                     Haven't seen any, Yet!!!!!

We decided to bite the bullet, fight the crowds, and go back to Arches National Park today, and do the one hike we haven’t done at Arches, The Delicate Arch Hike.  We are so glad we did.

Every time we travel Highway 191, we see plenty of deer, dead and alive.  Right before we got to Monticello, we saw a guy picking up road kill,  and placing in the back of his truck.  He had a least 3 deer in the back of the truck, including a nice buck.  Unfortunately, I missed the picture.  


We traveled an hour and a half to get to Arches National Park, waited in line for about 20 minutes at the entrance, then it was on!!

                                                                 Almost to the entrance


 We reminisced about the last time we were here.  Not nearly the people nor the traffic.  We made a bee line for Delicate Arch.  It was a 480 foot elevation, 3 mile round trip hike. 


I thought this hike was a breeze until….  I realized I had to walk on the drop off side to come back down.  I kept plotting as I was going up of how I was coming down.
                         




We really enjoyed Delicate Arch.  Then I sorta panicked.  I told Lauren when we started down that I was going to take my time and let people go around me so I could hug the interior cliff as much as possible.

Low and behold, there was no one in sight, I flew by Lauren, ran down the steep cliff and made it to my safety zone.  WHEW!!

                                                                hanging on the wall

We rode to Devil’s Garden Picnic Area for lunch.  We were planning to have Chicken Salad Sandwiches.  Oops, I forgot our bread, so we ate potato chips and chicken salad.  It was pretty good.


On the way back, we took a ride down Highway 128.  It was a very pretty ride with cliffs on one side of the road and the Colorado River on the other.


When we made it back to the camper, Fernykat was waiting on us.  She really explored tonight.  This is probably the best night here at Devil’s Canyon Campground.  After cooking pork chops, sitting around the fire, and watching a bunch of deer, we got our 5 gallon Ace Hardware bucket full of water and doused the fire.




And we had our own arch burning in the fire pit, 


Another wonderful night!!







No comments:

Post a Comment