Thursday, September 1, 2016

9-1-16 - Heat Escape - Day 21


                                                 Neighbor at CG is building this cabin

It was cloudy when we woke up this morning.  After the last few days of being cold when riding in the cloudy weather, I decided to put my cuddle dudds under my clothes to keep me warm.  Boy, was that a mistake.

                                                           Morrow Point Dam
                                                           
The temperature got as high as 78 degrees today.  I thought I would melt in all those clothes when we hiked the Mesa Creek Trail at Morrow Point Dam.  It was a moderate trail, 1.5 miles round trip.  I figured out why it was moderate at the end of the trail when I had to walk a path that mountain goats must have paved.  I was very careful, hoping I wouldn't fall down the bluff.


Luckily the path had widened on the way back when a snake was lying in the path between Lauren and I.  I am pretty sure, I scared  away any chance of us seeing any wildlife with my blood curdling scream.  Lauren took a picture, then scared the snake away. I am pretty sure I would have hurt myself if I had seen the snake on the narrow mountain goat path.  My fear of snakes is greater than my fear of heights.

                                                                        The snake

We stopped and looked at the narrow gauge train display. Way back when, the trains were used to move cattle and sheep across the mountains.  This place must have come a long way since then, I haven't seen any trains since we have been in this area.


We stopped at the East Cimarron picnic area.  It was very relaxing, watching and listening to the creek rustling by as we ate our lunch.


We continued our ride back toward Gunnison and hiked the Neversink Trail.  A nice stroll through the woods following the Gunnison River.


We came back and cooked burgers on the Hollywood Stainless Steel Charcoal Grill, (actually is not stainless steel),   We managed to get our cooking down right before the rain started.

We won't have a camp fire tonight.  We are inside, happy that Mother Nature was kind to us today, and allowed us a nice warm day.  Even though, we finally complained about the heat.


And then when we least expected, Mother Nature gave us another beautiful double rainbow.  What a way to end the day.


Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/Ru4QEL4tKLBYASzk7

No comments:

Post a Comment