Saturday, September 17, 2016

9-16-16 - Heat Escape - Day 36

                                                       Another beautiful day in Utah


It was 45 degrees this morning.  I slept in while Lauren made coffee and warmed up the camper.  I cannot remember ever turning on the heater during the month of September in Mississippi.

Lauren cooked a great omelet.  We had apricot preserves with our omelette, thanks to our good friends.

I thought this morning, as I rolled out of bed that I was a little bit tired.  I had muscles that hurt, but today would be an easy hiking day.   As Clyde would say. "W R O N G!"

When we got to the Quarry Entrance of Dinosaur National Monument, the park ranger recognized my doo-rag from yesterday, (thanks again to my St D Family).  We had planned to hike between Green River Campground and Split Mountain Campground.  She made a call and confirmed that part of the trail was closed at Green River due to a power pole falling.

She told us her favorite trail is the Trail of Silence.  We decided to take the 3.2 mild to strenuous hike.  We were kinda bored for the first half, when we were in the wash, switchbacks, where you couldn't see anything except the red bluff next to it, kind of trail.  All the sudden, it was on.

                                                                    The Wash

                                                                     Friend

                                                              Pano from the top

We crawled, scooted, climbed, and realized why this was the park ranger's favorite trail.  It was absolutely gorgeous and challenging.  The Sound of Silence song kept playing in my head.


We made it back to the Harley, and rode to Split Mountain Campground, had our picnic snacks, and went on the 1.5 mile trail.  It was pretty and very informative.

informative signs along this trail

                                                  Some of the signs were from grade schoolers

                                          Viewing the view, near Split Mountain boat launch

We both have to say the 3.2 and 1.5 mile trails seemed a lot longer.  When we got back to camp, we had been over 7 miles each according to fitbit.

The ride back was 70 degree weather in shorts and short sleeves.  It was wonderful beautiful day!


Pictures: https://goo.gl/photos/H9x5mt6jH7p7sTp66

No comments:

Post a Comment