We are at Ninilchik, which is 35 miles north of Homer.
We took a couple of strolls on the beach today. The tide was way out when we got here. Deep Creek surrounds one side of the campground and joins the Cook Inlet. There is a gorgeous bluff behind the creek.
We walked up to the tractor launch and watched a boat coming in from the inlet. A skidder backs the boat trailer in the water, the boat rides on the trailer, and the skidder pulls the boat out. It is the most unique boat launch that I have ever seen.
This must be the razor clam digging capitol. We saw several 5 gallon buckets of clams at different campsites. The clams are about three times as big as the oysters are at home.
I saw my first drift wood retriever. A campsite next to the creek had a dog that went down the steep bank of the creek, started barking, found a piece of driftwood, and carried it up to the campsite. As cold as it is here, I'm sure his finds, help keep the firewood stocked.
There are a lot more eagles here than Homer. We have seen almost as many eagles as we have sea gulls since we got here. We are mesmerized by the eagles here. The eagles flap their mighty wings to run off the sea gulls on the shore. This gives the eagles the prime selection of the chume in the inlet. I can't do anything but watch. I have never seen a beach with eagles and sea gulls.
We noticed when it is low tide the birds flock to the beach and there are about 4 times as many boats fishing. Looks like the locals and the birds know what is happening here.
After a great day, we ate left over halibut. We sat around the campfire, birdwatching, (which I never thought I would ever do), we are ready to go to bed and hear the waves crashing, I love to hear the waves when I am sleeping.
This is my favorite place since I left home.
Razor Clams
No comments:
Post a Comment