It's hard to believe that Ferny Kat allowed Lauren to sleep until 8 am, 2 days in a row. She must be enjoying camping under these cottonwood trees.
We had our nice hot showers after the other campers cleared from the campground this morning. Then we loaded up and went to check out Deaver Reservoir. Deaver Reservoir is nice, but not what we are looking for. Especially, the long ride on a dirt road to the lake.
We stopped at the Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area Visitor's Center and got some really great info about the area. We thought before we stopped there, that we may go in and camp at Barry's Landing tomorrow. We were more inclined to do so, after talking with the very informative staff.
They told us about the ranches, overlooks, etc. When Lauren heard there was a black bear sighting at the Caroline Lockhart Ranch that has been climbing over the fence to eat apples, he was ready to check it out. I insisted that we take a detour to the camper for my bear spray, just in case.
We went to Barry's Landing to check out where we may want to move tomorrow. We saw a herd of Big Horn Sheep on the way to the top of the hill.
We were followed to Barry's Landing by a group of motorcyclist that stopped and chatted. Turns out they are going to camp at Lovell City Campground tonight.
It was an easy 1 mile round trip hike to the Caroline Lockhart's Ranch and a very impressive ranch.
As we were looking at all the buildings, Lauren went one way and I went another, until I heard a grunt. I looked around and all I saw was thick brush. I started hollering to Lauren that I think I just heard a bear grunt and pulled my bear spray out of my back pack. After I ran back to Lauren, I read the instructions of how to use the bear spray. Needless to say, I am glad a bear wasn't after me We saw no bear, but my bear spray stayed in my hand until we got back to Amber.
There were very few apples left in the orchid and lots of evidence of bear presence by the bent wire fencing and the broken tree limbs. We tasted a small apple that was quite bitter and found a larger apple that we will let ripen.
As we were enjoying the ride back, listening to music, we made a curve, and 6 Wild Horses were walking down the middle of the road. We pulled over and stopped to let them pass by. The Stallion came by us without a care. His harem and 2 colts were a little hesitant. Finally all the horses except one walked by us. Pretty amazing.
We made it back to camp, waved at the bikers we met at Barry's Landing earlier today that are camped here, then went to town to stock up on milk, gas for the generator, and propane. We plan to move to Barry's Landing tomorrow. We will be off the grid for about 4 days with no cell phone or internet service.
Pictures:
No comments:
Post a Comment