Sunday, August 12, 2018

8-5-18- 8-11-18 (What were we thinking? / aka Week 23)

Sunday
Lauren lived through the golf tournament.  He and Terry didn't win, but they had a good time.  It is always great to spend time with Judy and Terry.

On our way home, we made a stop at Lynn's for Lieutenant Colonel Heath's celebration party.  A well deserved celebration for his return from his tour of duty and his promotion.  Thank you Heath for your service!!

Monday
Melissa approached us about a month ago and inquired if we would like to take the Certified Interpretive Guide training at Crosby Arboretum in Picayune, Ms.  This is only about a 30 minute drive from home.  We will get training that could make us better at what we do, a no brainer.  Yes we would love to go to this 4 day, 9 hours a day class, homework every day, everybody in the class has been doing these kind of things for years.  Again what were we thinking.

We were thinking, it will make us better at talking with the public, in a way that will be productive for everyone.  We weren't thinking, (obviously), that we are out of our league.

Our first day was today.  I have spent the last few weeks researching how to be successful at this.  Lauren on the other hand, has not gave it a thought until today.   I have to write, Lauren was as much prepared for this as I was.  We are brain dead.

We are in a class, with all these people that have been giving presentations for years.  Again, we are out of our league.

On a positive note, Philip Smartt, our instructor told us only one person has failed the presentation part of the class.  He needs to step up the game, unless he wants number 2 and 3 to talk about during his next class.

Tuesday
I thought I would be the one.  The one who would be so anal, I've got to do this.  Lauren and I went to bed late last night.  We tossed and turned.  And then, the clock alarmed.  We are retired, we are suppose to ease into the day, we are too old for this, but we got our old butts out of bed and returned.

Professor Smartt talked to a few of us early arrivers, about the second day being easier.  Lauren had a lot of words regarding the second day. Easier was not one of them.  I have to agree, the second day was a lot harder than the first.  At least yesterday, we had hope!!

Professor Smart, (and yes, that is his last name), stepped outside so we, or actually, Lauren could vent, (or as I call it, have a meltdown).   We realized that everyone in the room was pulling for us to succeed.  Hopefully we will meet their expectations!

And  no, we are not doing homework tonight.  Maybe we are too overwhelmed. or maybe we are being defiant!  Gotta set the theme of things.

Wednesday
I got out of bed around 3 am and worked on my homework and researched some of the history of the refuge .  I went back to bed after about an hour.  It was another sleepless night, We both tossed and turned all night long.

Today, we finally worked on our outlines for our presentations.  With a lot of help from Professor Smartt, we got this done.  We now know what we are going to talk about.  That kinda helps until we think about talking for 10 minutes. The presentation has to be at least 8 minutes and no more than 12 minutes.

After we got home, Lauren went out to the shop and  I went out in the garage to rehearse.  Dr Smartt told us he does not want us to use notes, so keeping this organized is extremely difficult. Every time I practice my speech, I say something different.

Luckily, Dr. Smartt said he doesn't grade us on perfection, he grades us on potential.

Thursday
We both have mixed emotions about today.  We are glad it is finally here so we can get this over with.  On the other hand, we are very anxious.  Right before we left home, we practiced in the den using the ironing board for a podium.  Ironing will never be the same.


We had 15 people in our class and it was obvious, the ones that had done this before.  I was the 13th person and Lauren was the 14th person to give presentations.  We both passed and got "Great Job" wrote on our evaluations.  Whew!!!!

I was surprised and relieved when the time keeper held up the sign for 8 minutes.  Lauren said the relief was obvious in my expression.  I am very surprised that the time went so fast and I am more surprised that I actually enjoyed this.

A stop at Wally World for the Nattys, and a stop at Fortenberry's for a steak and the celebration begins!!!!

Friday
As we reflect on the past few days, we have to say it was a fantastic week.  We made a lot of new friends and learned a ton, the exact opposite of our feelings at the beginning of the week.

Lauren spent this morning getting the yard mowed.  I spent the morning cleaning house.  We are still tired, but are finally getting back to our old selves.

Saturday
We packed our lunch and headed to Picayune to get some much needed nature therapy.  Our first stop was Crosby Arboretum.  We leisurely took our time, looking at the plants, wildflowers, butterflies, dragonflies, etc.  It was a much more relaxing experience than the previous days that we were here.

We stopped for a picnic lunch after walking about half of the trails.  The chicken salad I made this morning had quite a different taste.  I put dill pickle relish instead of sweet pickle relish in it.  It was quite different, but edible.

We continued on with the rest of our walk then headed to Bogue Chitto National Wildlife area.  We saw 3 gators, an anhinga trying to get plastic off his beak, plenty of egrets, and some blue herons.

This is not the place for arachnophobia's to visit.  There were hundreds of golden silk spiders hanging between the branches on the trail.

We walked about 6 miles today.  Lauren took his time really focusing on his pictures and thought he had some really great shots.  When we got home, none of the pictures were on the camera.  The card had been left in his computer.

It was a disappointing lesson learned, but nothing that a good dose of nature therapy can't cure.





















No comments:

Post a Comment