We had a nice walk getting in a bit of nature chasing on Sunday. Then, the rain slowly began. We packed up, loaded the truck, then headed to Island View for the Birthday celebration.
We came through a deluge on I10. By the time we got to Island View the sun was shining. We got our room with our wonderful view, relaxed a bit, then headed to the casino.
We played the old farts tournament and a few of our favorite machines.
While I was playing really slowly with a great water view, I hit $300 on a 60 cent bet. It don't get much better than this!!
Monday, I woke up a winner on my 63rd birthday, $300 ahead!! Happy Birthday To Me!!
The last couple of weeks, I tried several times to do a walk in for my license renewal without any luck. Kiln had lots of appointments available so there we went.
I attempted to log in for my appointment in the small crowded waiting room only to find out I was too early to check in, so across the road to Wards for breakfast we went.
I was in and out in about 10 minutes with my 8 year drivers license.
We checked out the shorebirds on our way back.
The Royal Terns were quite entertaining getting their baths.
Anita joined us for the birthday celebration when we returned. After a few beers, margaritas, and a fantastic meal at Juan Tequila's we tried our luck at the View.
Right before we went back to the room, I went to my Howling Wolf machine and won $129. Whoop Whoop!!!
Tuesday we made a Sams and a Walmart run, and was pretty much done.
Wednesday morning , I worked in the visitor center and got the pleasure of talking with all these cool folks that stopped for a refuge visit while Lauren was doing the logistics of the Escatawpa Trail signs. He was quite jealous when he showed up and I had over 25 visitors this morning.
We spent the afternoon, getting the signs and equipment loaded up for our 8 am departure.
The convoy of volunteers, staff, and equipment headed east to the Escatawpa Tail early Thursday morning. I was the Kubota driver with all the precious signs. Lauren was the awesome sign placement director. After about 6 hours we are back to the Ranch with 7 Interpretive signs, a few directional signs, and a huge sense of accomplishment. This trail is finally hiker ready!
We took a walk when we returned and enjoyed some nature chasing. While we out and about, we saw a Pileated Woodpecker scoping out the holes in a dead tree. Fingers crossed, there will be a nest soon.
Friday morning we tried to get ahead of the rain and look for Calopogon multiflorus plants at the East Valentine Wet Prairie. We failed to get ahead of the rain and failed to find the Calopogon multiflorus. Oh well, we will give it another try.
While we out and about, we admired all the Yellow Butterworts blooming along Valentine Road.
The rain stopped before noon giving us a gorgeous afternoon for hiking and nature chasing. After over 4 miles, we are chilled out at Camp Crane.
Saturday, we got our walking in. We did a couple of loops around the trail and Crane Lane getting over 4 miles in. Although, it took us hours to do this.
We saw several birds
More and more plants are blooming
The bees were buzzing
The bugs were crawling
The critters were scouting
On our way into Camp Crane we had a Fox-squirrel feeding in the trees Spring has sprung!







































No comments:
Post a Comment